Ebola Congo: UK pledges £20m to combat ’WORST in Congo’s history’ 326 cases – 216 dead

Wednesday, November 21, 2018
By Paul Martin

BRITAIN has pledged to spend an additional £20 million as part of international efforts to tackle an ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo – the worst in the DRC’s history.

Express.co.uk
Wed, Nov 21, 2018

Africa Minister Harriett Baldwin said the UK had contributed £25 million to the virus response, but told MPs it was “clear” additional resources were needed. There have been at least 326 confirmed cases in the DRC, Ms Baldwin said, making it the “biggest ebola outbreak” in the country’s history. But she said 110 people had recovered from the virus.

Making a statement to the Commons, Ms Baldwin said: “So far the UK has contributed £25 million to the ebola response.

“This is supporting the World Health Organisation to work on screening, surveillance and preparedness – not only in the DRC, but also in neighbouring countries.

“It is clear that the response will require a sustained effort over time, and additional resources. The UK Government stands ready to provide additional assistance.

“We’ve therefore agreed a further £20 million from our central crisis reserve in 2018/19 to support ebola responses in the affected region.”

Ms Baldwin added that the risk of the outbreak to the UK was “negligible to very low”, according to Public Health England.

She said: “The UK Government remains at full readiness to respond should that risk change.”

Shadow international development minister Preet Gill said she shared the Government’s “deep concern” about the outbreak in the DRC.

The Rest…HERE

Comments are closed.

Join the revolution in 2018. Revolution Radio is 100% volunteer ran. Any contributions are greatly appreciated. God bless!

Follow us on Twitter