Rescuers recover body of National Guardsman who was swept away as he tried to save a CAT from Maryland flood

Tuesday, May 29, 2018
By Paul Martin

Aerial images show the scale of destruction left in the wake of devastating flash floods in a Maryland town
Eddison Hermond’s body was removed from Patapsco River Tuesday morning by search-to-rescue crews
Hermond, 39, was last seen trying to help a woman find her cat during the Ellicott City flooding on Sunday
Friends shared Air Force veteran’s image and said he was last seen being swept toward the Patapsco River
National Weather Service issued a flash flood emergency for the city and warned of ‘life-threatening’ situation
Maryland Governor Larry Hogan declared a state of emergency for the entire state as recovery begins
Ellicott City was wracked by similar devastation two years ago when two people died in flash flooding
After the floodwaters receded Sunday, emergency officials had no immediate reports of fatalities or injuries

29 May 2018

Search-and-rescue crews scouring the Patapsco River in Maryland on Tuesday recovered the body of a National Guardsman who went missing while trying to save a cat from a severe flash flood.

The Howard County Police Department confirmed in a tweet sent out at around 1.30pm that a deceased adult male who was found in the river across the Baltimore County line this afternoon was positively identified as 39-year-old Eddison Alexander Hermond.

Police say Hermond was last seen alive at around 5.20pm on Sunday evening trying to help a woman rescue her cat behind a restaurant during the flooding that devastated Ellicott City when he was swept away by the waters.

Hermond was reportedly holding a door to keep the floodwaters out when he went back outside to help the woman. He was the sole person reported missing in the flood.

National Guardsman Eddison Hermond was found dead in the Patapsco River in Maryland on Tuesday

Friends frantically shared the Air Force veteran’s image on Facebook and said witnesses saw him being swept toward Patapsco River.

‘Local news is saying no one is missing, but we don’t know where our brother is,’ Bonnie Hoppa wrote on Facebook.

‘Please, please, please, if you know where Eddison is, we are extremely worried.’

Lt Col Charles Kohler, a spokesman for the guard, said Hermond was a sergeant assigned to the training department at the Camp Frettard Military Reservation in Reisterstown.

He said Hermond was not on duty Sunday evening and had not had guard training during the weekend.

Hermond spent more than 10 years on active duty in the Air Force, starting in 1996. After a break in military service, he joined the Maryland National Guard in 2009, according to Kohler.

The Rest…HERE

Leave a Reply

Join the revolution in 2018. Revolution Radio is 100% volunteer ran. Any contributions are greatly appreciated. God bless!

Follow us on Twitter