Two dead and 65 injured after massive 7.3 magnitude earthquake

Sunday, January 14, 2018
By Paul Martin

A 7.3 MAGNITUDE earthquake has struck off the coast of Peru killing two and leaving dozens missing or injured.

By Tom Towers
DailyStar.com
14th January 2018

Governor of Arequipa province Yamila Osorio said on Twitter that a 55-year-old man had died after being crushed by a rock.

A second death was reported by Jorge Chavez, chief of Peru’s Civil Defense Institute (INDECI).

INDECI also said that 65 had been injured in the earthquake.

The quake struck 124km (77 miles) south west of Puqio in the south of the country at a depth of 10km (6 miles).

A tsunami warning was put in place near the epicentre of the quake but later withdrawn.

Officials said: “Government agencies responsible for threatened coastal areas should take action to inform and instruct any casual populations at risk in accordance with their own evaluation procedures and the level of threat.

“Persons located in threatened coastal areas should stay alert for information and follow instructions from national and local authorities.”

Parts of the country have been left without electricity and some houses have collapsed.

Arequipa suffered damaged roads and people are being evacuated in the coastal town of Lomas.

There are up to 10 million people in the area where the quake was felt, according to the European Mediterranean Seismological Centre (EMSC).

The organisation said villages “may have suffered direct damage and triggered landslides are always a risk”.

The Rest…HERE

Leave a Reply

Happy Holidays! Revolution Radio is a 100% volunteer run site. We appreciate any holiday cheer you can spare this Christmas season. God bless!

Follow us on Twitter