HUSSMAN: These 5 Conditions Mean The Market Is Going To Plunge…”Perfect Storm”
There’s a big story in Barron’s this weekend titled The Worst of Times to Buy Stocks?, which highlights the gloomy warnings of well-known investor John Hussman and technical guy Walter J. Zimmermann Jr.
Hussman’s bearishness is well known, but the article by Randall W. Forsyth boils down Hussman’s bearishness to five criteria:
• the Standard & Poor’s 500 trading at more than 8% above its 52-week exponential moving average
• the S&P 500 up more than 50% from its four-year low
• the “Shiller P/E,” based on the cyclically adjusted trailing 10-year earnings, developed by Yale economist Robert Shiller, greater than 18; it’s currently 22
• the 10-year Treasury yield higher than six months earlier
• the Investors Intelligence’s bullish advisory sentiment over 47%, and bearishness under 25%; in the latest data, the numbers were 47.9% bulls and 26.6% bears