MERS virus causes Saudi Arabia to warn some Muslims to avoid hajj pilgrimage…(They Won’t…Prepare Yourselves!)
The deadly coronavirus, which has killed 38 people in Saudi Arabia, may make the annual religious journey to Mecca too risky for pregnant women, children, seniors and people with underlying health problems, Ministry of Health officials said in a statement.
BY DAVID KNOWLES
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
TUESDAY, JULY 16, 2013
This year’s hajj may not be for everyone.
Citing concerns over the deadly MERS coronavirus, the government of Saudi Arabia is urging elderly Muslims and those with underlying health problems to postpone their plans to attend this year’s religious pilgrimage in Mecca.
In a statement released over the weekend, the Saudi Ministry of Health warned off pregnant woman, children, the elderly and “those suffering chronic illnesses, like heart, kidney, respiratory diseases, and diabetes,” the AFP reported.
On its website, the ministry said the warning was part of “preventive measures special to the MERS coronavirus,” which has so far killed 38 people in the kingdom, the largest number reported in any country so far.