North Korea Poised To Enter Stage Three Of A Plan To Create Fear Of Nuclear War
Apr. 5, 2013
Buried in a story published last month about an alleged assassination plot against North Korean leader Kim Jong-un, there was an ominous intelligence report detailing North Korea’s “three-stage scenario” to create fear of a nuclear war.
With hindsight, this report is starting to look remarkably prescient.
NK News points towards three crucial paragraphs in the original story, first published in Korea JoongAng Daily on March 14 and based on interviews with “a Seoul-based intelligence source”:
The first stage is issuing war threats against the South and spreading the idea that a war is imminent, the source said.
The second stage is reportedly forcing foreigners in the North to leave the country, warning that their personal safety cannot be guaranteed in time of war. The North would also inform foreign diplomatic missions in Pyongyang to pull out their citizens.
The third step will be a terrorist attack on a public installation in the South such as an airport, or an armed attack like the sinking of the Cheonan, the source said.
Looking back, this “scenario” appears to be coming to fruition.