Relief Wells Delayed … New Tests Show “Gap” in Oil “Well Column” Causing Loss of Pressure … Does the Government Have ANY IDEA What It’s Doing?
by George Washington
An oil and gas industry veteran with 30 years experience who goes by the alias Fishgrease gave a pretty good recap of BP and the government’s record of failure in capping the oil well:
1. BP does a superhuman job of creating conditions favorable to loss of control of what is very possibly the largest well in the history ot the Gulf of Mexico. Result: Blowout. FAIL
2. For more than a day, BP insists there is no leakage. Result: Wrong. FAIL
3. BP admits that well is leaking. Says leak is 1000 BOPD. Result: Wrong. FAIL
4. NOAA, USCG and independent groups say the leak sure looks more like 5000 BOPD. BP says… DEAL! It’s 5000 BOPD! How silly of us! Result: Wrong. FAIL
Round about here, BP succumbs to pressure from … Congress and other groups and begins to release video feeds of that is happening under a mile of Gulf water, at the damaged well.
5. BP builds a huge metal barn to lower over one of the leaks. Result: G@*!@^$ thing clogs with hydrate ice within seconds. FAIL
6. BP installs Insertion Tube Technology. Result: Captures a very small and day-by-day-smaller portion of the leak. FAIL
7. BP tries Diamond Wire Saw Technology to cut the damaged riser off the top of the BOP, leaving a clean even surface to seat a cap. Result: Wire gets stuck. FAIL
8. BP tries Crunchy… a huge hydraulic Jaws-of-Death to snip the riser. Result: Jagged, bent, uneven surface upon which nothing will seal. FAIL
9. BP lowers cap #4. Steam Punk fans rejoice! Result: This cap is capturing only a minor fraction of the leak. FAIL
10. BP is ordered to increase containment capacity by the USCG. Says it will. Doesn’t. Starts piping a portion of the leak to the Q4000 where it is all burned, unmeasured. Result: They’re capturing or burning an estimated 50% of the leak, when they were ordered to catch it ALL. FAIL
11. BP is again ordered to increase capture capacity via sternly-worded letter. Finally installs another processing boat. Result: Still not getting much more than 50% of the leak. Makes excuse that there’s not enough room in the fucking Gulf of Mexico to park another boat. FAIL
12. BP installs “Capping Stack Technology” in order to more effectively capture leak. Result: Vented riser immediately freezes off. This is the beginning of the end of capture. FAIL
13. BP comes up with “Integrity Test Technology” which completely shuts in the well to test its integrity. Result: Works… immediately starts leaking… but does stop the leak. BP keeps moving goal line for integrity downward from 9000 psi to 8000 psi to 7500 psi to whatever the hell pressure they’re seeing that day….
14. … Well remains shut in. Leaks are nominal but increasing….
15. BP comes up with “Static Kill Technology” says it can kill well…
Along about here, BP quits releasing data. Video feeds start blacking out and “Rogue ROVs” appear… we can’t see the feeds of those. They’re assigned to monitor the BOP leaks and anything else BP doesn’t want us to see.
16. “Magic Cement Technology!” BP convinces Government to put the question of total capture and measurement out of the question. All work on containment stops cold. BP pushes a shitload of mud and cement into well. Result: Even though there’s no way on God’s Green Earth that they could know where the cement goes, they say they successfully cemented the casing… just the casing… not the annulus. News Media interprets this as a complete plugging of the well and questions whether the relief wells are even needed….