Iran says it will allow UN inspectors acess to sensitive site- flip flop or stall since Israeli threat?
March 6, 2012
TEHRAN – Six major world powers and Iran are to hold fresh talks on Tehran’s nuclear program, the EU has said. EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton said she had replied to a letter from Iran on behalf of the five UN Security Council members plus Germany. Iranian negotiator Saeed Jalili sent the letter last month proposing talks. No date or venue has been set. The move comes amid fresh speculation of a pre-emptive military strike against Iran’s nuclear facilities. Iran insists there is no military element to its program but Western powers fear it is constructing nuclear weapons. The statement from Baroness Ashton said the EU hoped that Iran would “now enter into a sustained process of constructive dialogue which will deliver real progress in resolving the international community’s long-standing concerns on its nuclear program.” It added: “Our overall goal remains a comprehensive negotiated, long-term solution which restores international confidence in the exclusively peaceful nature of Iran’s nuclear program.” But on Monday, Iran’s mission to the IAEA said if the UN agency “combined all related issues” then “once more, access would be granted.” Talks between the EU and Iran on the nuclear issue have been off and on for a number of years, with the last round ending in failure in January last year. According to the Associated Press, “Iran says it will allow U.N. inspectors access to a secret military complex where the U.N. nuclear agency suspects secret atomic work has been carried out.” –BBC