Cholera death toll climbs to 115 in Yemen, 1,000s infected in outbreak

Sunday, May 14, 2017
By Paul Martin

RT.com
14 May, 2017

A cholera outbreak in Yemen has claimed the lives of 115 people, while some 8,500 others are suffering from the infection, medics say. The number of patients is currently overwhelming Yemen’s hospitals.
The outbreak of the waterborne disease is the second Yemen has suffered in less than a year.

“We now are facing a serious outbreak of cholera,” Director of Operations for the International Committee of the Red Cross Dominik Stillhart told a news conference in Yemen’s capital, Sanaa, on Sunday.

Citing figures compiled by Yemen’s Health Ministry, he reported that 115 people had died of cholera between April 27 and Saturday. This is a dramatic jump from the death toll of 51 cited by the World Health Organization earlier on Thursday, marking a rapidly worsening situation.

Stillhart said hospitals could not accommodate all of the patients, with up to four people seeking treatment per bed.

“There are people in the garden, and some even in their cars with the IV drip hanging from the window,” he said.

Cholera outbreaks are symptomatic of the dire conditions in Yemen, which is suffering from a two-year-old civil war and a transport blockade imposed by Saudi Arabia, which is supporting one side in the conflict.

The Rest…HERE

Leave a Reply

Support Revolution Radio

For a limited time only, your donation get you a special perk. Every $30.00 donation gets you a fancy "say no to Government Hat". Every $20.00 donation gets you the same, but on a wonderful coffee mug. Just click the button below and give till it hurts...