‘We will shoot it down’ US vows to destroy North Korea missiles
THE United States will shoot down North Korea’s intermediate range ballistic missile if it threatens the US or any of its allies.
By KATIE MANSFIEL
Sun, Jan 8, 2017
Defence secretary Ash Carter said North Korea’s missile programme poses a “serious threat” to the US.
He warned the US is prepared to shoot down a North Korean missile launch or test “if it were coming towards our territory or the territory of our friends and allies.”
It comes as Pyongyang said it can test launch an intercontinental ballistic missile at any time from any location set by leader Kim Jong Un.
North Korea said Barack Obama’s hostile policy was to blame for its arms development.
State media KCNA news agency announced the dictator was close to test-launching an intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) earlier this week.
KCNA quoted an an unnamed Foreign Ministry spokesman saying: “The ICBM will be launched anytime and anywhere determined by the supreme headquarters of the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK).”