Egypt blocked Iran ships from entering Suez Canal
Officials overseeing the strategic waterway that connects the Red Sea to the Mediterranean could not confirm the report, saying only that they have been told that plans by two Iranian naval vessels to cross through the canal had been canceled.
By Avi Issacharoff and Reuters
The Suez Canal has been told that plans by two Iranian naval ships to cross the waterway were canceled, an official said on Thursday.
It was not immediately clear which side was behind the cancellation, but the Al-Arabiya daily reported that Egyptian authorities had blocked the ships from crossing.
Any naval vessels passing through the canal, a strategic international shipping route that connects the Red Sea to the Mediterranean, must first have approval from Egypt’s foreign and defense ministries, officials said.