Ebola infects 17 more in DRC outbreak…(9…)

Thursday, April 18, 2019
By Paul Martin

Lisa Schnirring
CIDRAP News
Apr 17, 2019

The Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) today reported another double-digit rise in Ebola cases, as local leaders such as traditional chiefs and provincial representatives stepped up their efforts to convince community members to support the response efforts to end the outbreak.

New cases span 3 locations
All 17 of the newly confirmed cases are from the current epicenters: Katwa (11), Butembo (4), and Mandima (2), according to the health ministry’s daily report. The flurry of new cases moved the outbreak total to 1,290, which includes 1,224 confirmed and 66 probable cases. Also, health officials are still investigating 251 suspected cases.

Twelve more people died from Ebola, 10 of them in their communities in Katwa, Mandima, and Butembo, exposing family members and neighbors to the virus. Two deaths occurred at Butembo’s Ebola treatment center. Outbreak deaths have now reached 833.

The surge of cases in the DRC over the past few weeks has triggered panic in Katwa and Butembo, the health ministry said. However, it added that officials see some glimmers of optimism, such as an easing of resistance in some of the most inaccessible areas of the city, such as Mutsanga and Wayene.

“Although the rapid increase in the number of confirmed cases in recent weeks may be worrying, the epidemic is actually concentrated in some well-defined health areas and there has been no geographical spread of the virus,” it said, noting the main hot spots are Katwa, Vuhovi, Masereka, and Mandima. “The epidemic has just resumed in areas that had already been affected because of patient mobility.”

In other response developments, the health ministry said customary chiefs from the Beni-Lubero area who took part in a national traditional chiefs meeting in Butembo sent a message to their local people and recommendations to outbreak responders, which focuses on stopping Ebola at the homefront. The youth council in Lubero has also launched a campaign to enlist young people in helping stem the spread of Ebola in people’s homes.

They asked community members to distance themselves from anyone who minimizes Ebola and to accept that the disease is real. They also asked mothers and girls—who typically care for sick people at home—to avoid throwing rocks at the response teams.

Also, two national deputies from Ituri province went on a 3-day mission to Biakato in Mandima health zone, a town that has experienced an increase in confirmed Ebola cases in recent weeks, because response teams haven’t been able to access sick patients due to community reluctance. They wrapped up their visit with a rally on Apr 14, where they reiterated prevention steps to stop the spread of the virus.

Sick doctor with more than 500 contacts

The Rest…HERE

Comments are closed.

Join the revolution in 2018. Revolution Radio is 100% volunteer ran. Any contributions are greatly appreciated. God bless!

Follow us on Twitter