Ebola outbreak WARNING: Child killer is back – virus now RAMPANT in Africa

Tuesday, October 30, 2018
By Paul Martin

KILLER virus ebola has returned with the Congo’s health ministry confirmed a new “abnormal” outbreak has already killed nearly 30 children.

By TOM NELLIST
Express.co.uk
Tue, Oct 30, 2018

Government officials in the Democratic Republic of Congo have blamed traditional healers at clinics with poor hygiene levels for spreading the virus at an unprecedented level.

The country is already in the grip of multiple outbreaks with Reuters reporting the haemorrhagic fever is believed to have killed 168 people and infected a further 98 in the eastern provinces of Ituri and North Kivu, which border Uganda and Rwanda.

The latest outbreak, centred around the city of Beni, has seen 120 people diagnosed with confirmed cases of ebola with at least 30 being children aged 10 or younger.

Citing health ministry data, the agency said 27 of them have died.

Officials have described the outbreak as “abnormal” and are worried about the unusually high number of children affected by the outbreak.

They have put the high figure down to poor sanitation as traditional healers use the same unsterilised equipment to treat case of ebola and malaria.

A spokeswoman for the health ministry said: “There is an abnormally high number of children who have contracted and died of Ebola in Beni. Normally, in every Ebola epidemic, children are not as affected.

“Traditional healers use the same tools to treat everyone. And the child who has entered a traditional healer’s clinic with malaria comes out with Ebola and dies several days later.”

According to an emergency World Health Organisation committee, the outbreak is feared to worsen significantly unless international aid efforts are stepped up.

Congo has suffered 10 Ebola outbreaks since the virus was discovered near its eponymous Ebola River in 1976 and the current epidemic now ranks third in terms of number of confirmed cases.

As of this week, the WHO says there have been 239 confirmed cases and a further 35 probable cases with 139 confirmed to have died and another 35 suspected ebola deaths.

The figures are despite the director-general of the WHO saying in earlier this year he believed there would be a quick end to the outbreak.

The Rest…HERE

Comments are closed.

Join the revolution in 2018. Revolution Radio is 100% volunteer ran. Any contributions are greatly appreciated. God bless!

Follow us on Twitter