Ebola outbreak: Doctor becomes first Italian to catch Ebola

Monday, November 24, 2014
By Paul Martin

BBC.com
24 November 2014

An Italian doctor who contracted Ebola while working for a charity in Sierra Leone is due to be flown back to Rome for treatment, the Italian health ministry has said.

The doctor had been working for an organisation called Emergency before contracting the virus.

It is the first recorded case involving an Italian national.

The Ebola outbreak has killed more than 5,450 people, with Sierra Leone among the three worst hit nations.

At least 1,267 people have died in the country, while neighbouring Guinea and Liberia have also been badly affected.

Italy’s health ministry said the doctor, who has not been identified, was due to arrive at a specialist hospital for infectious diseases on Monday night or early Tuesday morning.

Officials said the medical worker was in a stable condition and was able to eat and drink without assistance.

A statement from Emergency said staff in Sierra Leone had been observing correct procedure when treating infected patients.

“Nonetheless, no health intervention of such a serious epidemic can be considered completely without risks,” it added.

The Rest…HERE

Comments are closed.

Join the revolution in 2018. Revolution Radio is 100% volunteer ran. Any contributions are greatly appreciated. God bless!

Follow us on Twitter