Officials found dozens of bodies during Sierra Leone’s Ebola lockdown

Monday, September 22, 2014
By Paul Martin

By Abby Ohlheiser
WashingtonPost.com
September 22, 2014

Officials sweeping the homes of Sierra Leone’s residents during a three-day lockdown found nearly 100 corpses along with more than 50 people who are infected with the deadly Ebola virus — cases that were previously unknown to those trying to fight the outbreak, according to the agency leading the country’s Ebola response.

Speaking to Reuters, Emergency Operations Center head Stephen Gaojia called the lockdown a “huge success” after the three-day order for residents to remain in their homes was lifted in most of the country. A few areas are still awaiting the completion of the sweep, including parts of the capital city of Freetown. Citing their success, officials said they won’t extend the lockdown’s duration.

Gaojia said officials removed 92 bodies from homes as of Saturday evening, and identified 56 positive Ebola cases out of 123 people who sought testing during the lockdown. Thirty-one of the 123 tested negative for the virus, while the rest are still waiting for test results.

The Rest…HERE

Leave a Reply

Happy Holidays! Revolution Radio is a 100% volunteer run site. We appreciate any holiday cheer you can spare this Christmas season. God bless!

Follow us on Twitter