Ebola virus spread in west Africa not under control: WHO expert

Wednesday, May 28, 2014
By Paul Martin

Spread of 2-month-old outbreak, which authorities said was contained, further complicates fight against virus

CBC.ca
May 28, 2014

Guinea’s capital Conakry has recorded its first new Ebola cases in more than a month, while other previously unaffected areas have also reported infections in the past week, according to the World Health Organization.

The spread of the two-month-old outbreak, which Guinean authorities had said had been contained, risks further complicating the fight against the virus in a region already struggling with weak healthcare systems and porous borders.

“The situation is serious, you can’t say it is under control as cases are continuing and it is spreading geographically,” Dr Pierre Formenty, a WHO expert who recently returned from Guinea, told a news briefing in Geneva on Wednesday.

“There was no decline. In fact it is because we are not able to capture all the outbreak that we were under the impression there was a decline,” he said.

The WHO reported two new cases, including one death, between May 25 and 27 in Conakry. They were the first to be detected since April 26. An outbreak in the capital could pose the biggest threat of an epidemic because the city is Guinea’s international travel hub.

The Rest…HERE

Comments are closed.

Join the revolution in 2018. Revolution Radio is 100% volunteer ran. Any contributions are greatly appreciated. God bless!

Follow us on Twitter